martes, 25 de mayo de 2010

About.com Health: Hello, Sunshine

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Kristin Kane, your About Health Editor
The weather has been so nice in my city that I finally got the chance to break out one of my favorite warm weather dresses - too bad my paste-tone legs didn't get the memo that they were making an appearance again so soon.

Actually, I try my best to keep them that way even through the sunniest months. OK, that's a half lie: I do my best to protect them from the sun's harmful rays, but have been known to sport some faux tan every now and again.


Minimize UV Exposure
Skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer. And as this article points out, knowing about sun safety may save your (and my) life.

Fake Bake Dangers
I know, I know - "say no to tanning beds" is so ingrained in your head by now that you're wondering if it too was a Reagan-era public health slogan. But it still seems that these salons are popping up on every corner. The dangers are real - and serious.

Get to know more about some alternatives:


Sunny D
Sunlight's role in the production of vitamin D has gotten a lot play, but don't use that as an excuse to break out the sun reflector and baby oil. You need just about 15 minutes of walking-around-the-neighborhood type exposure daily to do the trick.

Wrinkle in Time...
I remember a group of girls in high school who were always so bronzed that my friends and I referred to them as "The Tan Clan." I bumped into a member on a hometown visit - her skin, perhaps not so oddly, now resembles that of a shar pei. Take some advice she clearly didn't.

 


Health Ads
Featured Articles
Reasons to Call 911
Natural Ways to Get Bugs to Buzz Off
Surgery for Knee Pain
COPD or Asthma?
Sewing Tips for People With Osteoarthritis
IBD: When to Get a Second Opinion

 

More from About.com

Great Stuff Kids Love
From the hottest tunes and best online videos to favorite books and classic toys, here are our top picks for the kids in your life. More >



Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Health newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 


Reader to Reader
Review a Marathon You Ran
Share a Fad Diet Story
"One Year Smoke-Free!"

Advertisement

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Seguidores

Archivo del blog